The National Board serves as a platform to elevate the voices of National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) as advocates for policies that advance teaching and learning in their states and districts.
As proven experts on what works in the classroom, NBCTs are frequently asked to share their ideas and opinions with state and local policy makers. The National Board provides support and resources to NBCT networks across the country to reach state legislators and other leaders to shape effective education policies and practices. This includes helping to connect stakeholders to create powerful coalitions, organizing stakeholder and media events that build momentum, providing research and data that demonstrate the impact of accomplished teaching and providing advocacy training to ensure that we move the needle.
NBCT networks across the country have annual Hill Days which provide a focused opportunity to meet with legislators to provide the latest information about the positive impact that NBCTs are having as teacher leaders in and out of the classroom.
- To learn about the availability of state and local funding and incentives for National Board Certification, click here.
- To find out how to contact your elected officials, click here.
- For additional information on advocacy training or setting up a Hill Day event in your state, please contact Michelle Accardi, Director of State Policy and Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Also, join your local NBCT Network to learn more about policy activities in your area.
Here are some examples of NBCT advocacy activities from around the county:
- The New Mexico NBCT Network works with members of the state legislature to have new NBCTs recognized on the floor of the House and Senate. This special event highlights the growth of NBCTs in a variety of certificate areas. NBCTs from around the state are able to meet with their legislators to celebrate their achievement. The event is planned for the same weekend as the network’s annual conference, which provides another opportunity for NBCTs and candidates to share ideas for the best policies and practices in their classrooms.
- In Wyoming, the Ellbogen Foundation provided an opportunity for the NBCTs from around the state to come together and develop bold new ideas for continuing to improve in their practice. After the summit, the NBCT Teacher Leaders developed a white paper to share with stakeholders and policy makers.