The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (National Board) is the nation’s pre-eminent standards-setting board in teaching. Since 1987, the National Board has certified more than 112,000 accomplished teachers through the rigorous performance-based, peer-reviewed process of National Board Certification. The National Board is pursuing an ambitious agenda to scale Board certification throughout the teaching profession, with the aim of strengthening a differentiated, performance-based career continuum for teachers and, ultimately, building teaching into the true profession it deserves to be.
The National Board is seeking a dedicated professional to join the Network to Transform Teaching (NT3) team in the Strategic Projects department. NT3 is a Networked Improvement Community (NIC) that draws on practitioner expertise at the school, district, and state levels to develop resources and strategies that will bring accomplished, Board-certified teaching to scale. By 2020, NT3 aims to increase the number of Board-certified teachers by 20,000, working with over 1,000 schools, 100 districts, and 10 states.
The Senior Manager, Network Advancement will drive the operational efficiency and effectiveness of NT3, including regular analysis of how the network operates, learns, and improves. The Senior Manager will also lead the development and curation of a system of knowledge management. This position will report to the Director, Networked Improvement and will be part of a seven person team working on NT3.
Monitor Network Health: Facilitate an effort to understand network health and support use of continuous improvement methods to make operational enhancements.
- Coordinate between consultants and evaluators to deploy a network health survey.
- Facilitate periodic interviews and / or focus groups with network members.
- Engage with the research base on network development. Convene the NT3 team on a regular basis to plan for improvements based on that research and network health data.
- Maintain documentation about network development and work with the Director, Networked Improvement to articulate the learning of the NT3 team to external audiences.
Manage Knowledge, Tools, and Online Platforms: Manage the organization of knowledge and tools, in particular in an easily navigable online platform that supports partners’ learning and communication across geographical boundaries.
- Oversee the timeline and deliverables for the creation and deployment of a new online community (including both platform and social routines for its use).
- Partner with external consultant to understand user needs and scope the project design. Manage relationship with that consultant.
- Partner with National Board’s Outreach and Engagement team to ensure the selected platform integrates with other National Board online resources, including externally facing platforms.
- Curate knowledge management, facilitating continuous improvement of the system, norms, and habits of work around the platform.
Manage Project Timeline and Deliverables: Create and manage an overall plan of action for the network, bridging multiple work streams and subteams.
- Work with other members of the NT3 team to plan out projects and provide guidance on pacing, cross-team connections, and resources available for the work.
- Develop and manage routines for convening the NT3 team to track progress toward deliverables and review and adapt the overall project plan.
- Partner with the Director, Networked Improvement to prioritize efforts in the NT3 team and make decisions about deployment of grant resources.
Manage Grant and Budget: Develop and manage a system for administering a multi-million dollar grant, ensuring the maximal use of resources in a timely manner against project objectives.
- Facilitate a process by which state and district partners budget for use of grant funds, make monthly projections of their spending, invoice for reimbursement, and reforecast their spending on a regular basis.
- Work with the Director, Networked Improvement to coach state-level directors and steering teams in strengthening their plans and their budgets — and the connection between the two. Support partners to expend resources in ways that ensure long-term sustainability of local efforts.
- Oversee and ensure efficiency of invoice processing so that payments are approved and submitted to the National Board’s Finance division in a timely manner.
- Communicate with state-based fiscal agents and directors to continually streamline the invoicing process and funding flow.
- Partner with the National Board’s Finance department to make and monitor accurate projections about the pace of grant spending.
- Partner with the National Board’s Finance division and external research consultants to understand the true cost and, as possible, the cost-effectiveness of both running the network and of the work taking place in the field.
- Coordinate and collect data for annual reporting to funders.
Experience, Skills, and Education:
- BA/BS degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- PMP® certification (or similar project or grant management credential) preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of project management experience, preferably at a non-profit organization or education agency.
- Understanding of and commitment to ensuring all students have access to accomplished, Board-certified teachers.
- Experience with and commitment to continuous improvement. Bonus if you have led or participated in an effort using Improvement Science, Six Sigma, Lean, Total Quality Management, or similar.
- Experience leading conceptualization and management of multiple, interconnected projects. You are comfortable developing timelines, scoping deliverables, and managing budgets. Bonus if you have experience doing this with a mix of internal and external teams.
- Experience managing a complex, changing budget with rigorous criteria from the funder. You are comfortable with the language of finance and accounting and have conducted analytics to identify how resources may be deployed more efficiently.
- Experience with user-centered design. Experience applying that approach to the organization of resources into online knowledge management platforms is a plus.
- Must be entrepreneurial, accountable, and comfortable rolling up your sleeves. You are highly organized, work smart, possess strong attention to detail, and thrive on getting things done.
- Thrives when working on collaborative, interdisciplinary teams. You can wear different hats on a team and possess flexible leadership styles – supporting others, coordinating, project managing, and leading as needed.
- Strong relationship management and communication skills, including experience interacting with senior management. Ability to produce quality written materials, as well as revise and edit materials written by others.
- Fluent with project and grant management tools (i.e., MS Excel, Google Drive, SmartSheet) and driving improvements with internal tools and processes.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume using the link below:
NBPTS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages diversity in its hiring and employment practices.
- RT @Andrea_Trudeau: SO fun having lunch with my 4th grade teacher today. She is a big reason why I became an educator! ❤️ #teacherappreciat…National BoardJul 20
- We've got that #FridayFeeling! https://t.co/KXCtdrTEPwNational BoardJul 20
- RT @NASAhistory: It's #NationalMoonDay! History was made 49 years ago #today when the first humans set foot on the Moon during Apollo 11. W…National BoardJul 20
- @barbie_fergi Wonderful! #NBCTstrongNational BoardJul 20
- RT @UCLANBPTS: The 2018 National Board Academy is over but we’re still feeling #NBCaliStrong Excited about working together to support all…National BoardJul 20