Tonia Holmes-Sutton, Ed.D. is leading the way in education advocacy in southern Nevada. Tonia is a National Board Certified Teacher (Early Childhood Generalist) serving children, families, and educators across the country. Her primary service and support has been to children and families of high-needs communities within the Las Vegas Valley. Holmes-Sutton presently serves as the Nevada State Director for Teach Plus leading teachers in leadership in policy and advocacy.
Holmes-Sutton served as a former Governor-appointed member on the Nevada State Board of Education. In addition to serving as a Board Director for WestEd, she is also a member of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Board of Directors and a founding member of the National Network of Accomplished Minoritized Educators. Tonia is committed to excellence in service through education; continuing a family legacy that dates back to the late 1800s when her family established the first school for Blacks in Shelby County School District, Tennessee.
A passionate and committed educational advocate, Tonia is a proponent of professional learning communities, and teaching and family partnerships; advocating for families to engage as full partners in their children’s education to increase student learning and achievement. She has participated in professional staff development as a national consultant and as a presenter at district, state, and national conferences.
Tonia earned her Master’s Degree in Special Education in 2004 and her doctorate in Educational Leadership in 2012 from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). She was recently recognized as the 2020 Alumna of the Year for the UNLV College of Education.
As a military dependent, Tonia has lived in several states throughout the country, as well as overseas. She has made Las Vegas, Nevada home with her husband, Walter, and their daughter Brittany Danielle. Tonia also has six ‘forever’ children that she has cared for throughout recent years who reside in Nevada, Germany, Spain, and Serbia.
- RT @MichaelJDunlea: Yesterday we were able to do a @harmony_sel “Meet-Up” w/ our pen pals in @CollinsNBCT ‘ class. Then we had a coding les…National BoardJun 12
- Health and fitness teacher @Shancotton22 believes Board certification opened doors to her as a teacher leader. Chec… https://t.co/0fYGdU0iozNational BoardJun 11
- On the final episode of season 1 of the #NBCTpodcast, we take a trip all the way out to Hawai'i to speak with… https://t.co/mB7HtNMAscNational BoardJun 11
- Professional development in July: EMC English as a New Language assessors needed for 2021 virtual scoring safely fr… https://t.co/lWiDKG7ifSNational BoardJun 11
- Congratulations to the newly named National Board Accomplished Districts @borderitepride @CarteretK12 @CullmanSuper… https://t.co/6AILJ1mZgNNational BoardJun 11