Home Senior Vice President, Communications, Mobilization & Partnerships
The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (National Board) is the nation’s pre-eminent standards-setting board in teaching. Since 1987, the National Board has certified more than 122,000 accomplished teachers through the rigorous performance-based, peer-reviewed process of National Board Certification. The National Board is pursuing an ambitious agenda to scale Board certification throughout the teaching profession, with the aim of strengthening a differentiated, performance-based career continuum for teachers and, ultimately, building teaching into the true profession it deserves to be.
Reporting to the COO, the Senior Vice President of Communications, Mobilization, and Partnerships is responsible for building awareness and action among targeted audiences; activating, supporting, and recognizing teachers and other champions; and strengthening strategic partnerships at the national and local levels. Core to accomplishing this role is the development and implementation of key strategies advancing targeted marketing and broad communications, educator activation and recognition, organizational partnerships, targeted local engagement, and supports for candidates.
The National Board is pursuing an ambitious growth agenda toward our vision of every student learning from an accomplished teacher every day. Communications, Mobilization, and Partnerships will play a critical role in bringing a growing number of teachers into the National Board movement, growing a movement of champions across the country, and partnering with organizations that share our vision of an elevated and empowered teaching profession.
The senior leader will lead a diverse team in innovating strategies and advancing measurable outcomes in these areas, in service of the National Board’s strategic goals and mission, which call for aggressive growth in the reach of the National Board. The successful candidate will be a strategic, big picture thinker; bring expertise in communications, mobilization, and / or partnerships; has a track record of successful team management and staff development; and will strengthen the organization’s engagement with educators and the organizations that represent them, in the service of students.
The SVP will serve on the senior leadership team and play a key advisory role to the President / CEO and COO, providing broad organizational strategic and cultural leadership and people management. The SVP will play a significant role shaping the organization’s strategic direction and priorities, allocating and stewarding resources, and building a highly engaged, high performance culture.
Note: Depending on the experience of the successful candidate, this position may become a Vice President level position.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Strategic leadership in Communications, Mobilization, and Partnerships
- Build, implement, and advance a growth-oriented comprehensive strategic marketing and communications program that effectively communicates and perpetuates the National Board mission, story and value proposition among key audiences, especially in terms of growing the number of teachers interested in and pursuing Board certification.
- Develop and advance mobilization strategies that build and activate a movement of National Board champions, through educator engagement, network development and support, recognition programs, and other approaches.
- Strengthen the availability and quality of supports for candidates and related integration of National Board Standards and Certification into professional learning systems.
- Activate national and local partners around mutually beneficial outcomes to position Board certification and Board-certified teachers as a solution to pressing challenges in the field.
- Lead coordination of communications and marketing efforts with operations partner and other relevant stakeholders as well as development of communication collateral and messaging to meet organization’s needs.
- Drive focus on particular strategies that will increase diversity within the National Board community and advance equitable outcomes for students.
- Team leadership
- Supervise and manage a diverse staff with multiple direct reports and responsible for additional indirect staff
- Support individual staff engagement, performance, development, and advancement
- Build a strong collaborative culture within the team of direct reports and with other teams across the organization
- Develop and oversee the department’s budget and allocate funds as necessary
- Organizational leadership
- Participate and lead on the organization’s senior leadership team
- Inform and shape strategic, financial, and organizational priorities
- Contribute to building a collaborative and high-performing senior leadership team
Summary of Experience:
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience required.
- 10+ years of experience in education, specifically in leading initiatives that involve engaging with teachers and educational organizations, especially schools and school districts, required.
- Marketing, communications and analytics experience required.
- Mobilization, advocacy, and / or organizing experience required.
- External partnership development and stewardship experience required.
- Senior management experience required.
Required Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the National Board’s vision for elevating the teaching profession and engaging teachers as leaders in that effort
- Understanding of and commitment to mission of the National Board
- Broad knowledge about education policy and practice
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with established deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and good judgment.
- Familiarity with use of analytics and data, especially in marketing.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal skills including the ability to produce quality written materials.
To Apply, please submit your cover letter and resume using the link below:
NBPTS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages diversity in its hiring and employment practices.
- As you go back to school this fall, what education-related issues should policy makers and political candidates be thinking about?National BoardAug 17
- The Arizona K12 Center announced that through the Arizona Teachers Academy they have funding for 200 teachers to se… https://t.co/xXtXyAcRvNNational BoardAug 16
- 15 million children living in extreme poverty in the US face the fear of not having the supplies to learn or not kn… https://t.co/8gF1vMxrxiNational BoardAug 16
- RT @NBPTS: As you get ready to head back to school, what do you most need for your classroom? Tweet us what else teachers may need! #BackTo…National BoardAug 13
- Pediatricians Group Warns That Racism Is Harmful To The Health Of Children https://t.co/7cufunrhOfNational BoardAug 13