Since our founding, every element of the National Board’s work has been led by teachers, for teachers–the standards are no different. National Board Standards are regularly revised to ensure they describe all critical aspects of accomplished teaching and reflect the expectations that the teaching profession has established for Board-certified teachers in service of student learning.
Standards Under Revision
The National Board is beginning its next cycle of standards revisions to redefine and refresh expectations for what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do. We are beginning by revising all certificate area standards in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Standards revision is a multi-year process. Candidates for certification and Maintenance of Certification should continue to use the published standards when preparing components.
The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is seating the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Standards Committee that will develop standards in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion for all certificate areas.
We are committed to ensuring National Board Standards apply to teachers in all teaching situations and in all areas of the country. The committee selection process includes a careful review of all applications received, attending to demographic and diverse perspectives.
The committee of 12 members will be
- representative of the diversity among teaching professionals and the students and communities they serve.
- a majority of National Board Certified Teachers.
- a majority of teachers who are currently teaching students ages 3-18+.
- experts (including school leaders, teacher educators, researchers, and other professionals) in child development, fairness, equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism.
- experienced collaborators who can adapt to a process wherein all decisions are made by consensus.
The committee will work remotely, and all members will receive an honorarium.
Standards Revision Process
Throughout the development of both the standards and the certification process, the National Board:
- ensures a broad representation of the diversity that exists within the profession;
- engages pertinent disciplinary and specialty associations at key points in the process;
- collaborates closely with appropriate state agencies, academic institutions, and independent research and education organizations; and
- establishes procedures to detect and eliminate instances of external and internal bias.
As a first step in ensuring that broad representation, the National Board convened stakeholders in May 2021 to inform its committee selection criteria and generate guidance for the committee.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee are selected from the pool of educators who responded to a nationwide, open call for applicants.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee will be seated from September 2021-February 2022. Public comment will open in late 2021. The committee’s work will be managed by National Board staff and overseen by the National Board’s Certification Council and Board of Directors.
In the next phase of standards revisions, certificate area experts will be convened to embed the adopted standards into each of the certificate area standards. Once the certificate area standards revisions are adopted by the Board of Directors, all assessments will be reviewed to determine what changes are necessary to reflect the new expectations in the standards.
- You’ve likely heard a lot about the National Board Certification process and what it means to be a National Board C… https://t.co/ww4WhgekEcNational BoardJul 29
- "National Board Certification is the gift I gave to myself and to my students. It has bonded me to my profession. I… https://t.co/uHEegz9xdUNational BoardJul 29
- RT @OutTeachEd: Our good friends at @NBPTS have this list of handy upcoming webinars to help all teachers make the coming year great. #Educ…National BoardJul 29
- $4.3 million NSF Noyce grant will help Nebraska science teachers grow, Noyce Master Teacher Fellows will also compl… https://t.co/vxJYFlzos2National BoardJul 29
- RT @MrDevyDev: Any high school Baseball coaches following me!? I’m considering restarting the team next academic year but I’ve never coac…National BoardJul 29