Since our founding, every element of the National Board’s work has been led by teachers, for teachers–the standards are no different. National Board Standards are regularly revised to ensure they describe all critical aspects of accomplished teaching and reflect the expectations that the teaching profession has established for Board-certified teachers in service of student learning.
Standards Under Revision
The National Board is beginning its next cycle of standards revisions to redefine and refresh expectations for what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do. We are beginning by revising all certificate area standards in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Standards revision is a multi-year process. Candidates for certification and Maintenance of Certification should continue to use the published standards when preparing components.
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is pleased to announce the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Standards Committee members who will develop standards in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion for all certificate areas. As we are committed to ensuring National Board Standards apply to teachers in all teaching situations and in all areas of the country, the committee of 12 members are
- representative of the diversity among teaching professionals and the students and communities they serve.
- a majority of National Board Certified Teachers.
- a majority of teachers who are currently teaching students ages 3-18+.
- experts (including school leaders, teacher educators, researchers, and other professionals) in child development, fairness, equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism.
- experienced collaborators who can adapt to a process wherein all decisions are made by consensus.
The committee will work remotely, and all members will receive an honorarium. The standards will be available for public comment in late 2021.
Standards Revision Process
Throughout the development of both the standards and the certification process, the National Board:
- ensures a broad representation of the diversity that exists within the profession;
- engages pertinent disciplinary and specialty associations at key points in the process;
- collaborates closely with appropriate state agencies, academic institutions, and independent research and education organizations; and
- establishes procedures to detect and eliminate instances of external and internal bias.
As a first step in ensuring that broad representation, the National Board convened stakeholders representing 42 organizations in May 2021 to inform its committee selection criteria and generate guidance for the committee.
An open application period was held from May 26 – June 16, from which the Certification Council appointed the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee will be seated from September 2021-February 2022. The standards development stages in 2021 include analysis of the Five Core Propositions, review of existing standards, establishing the revision framework, and iterative rounds of drafting. Public comment will open in late 2021. In 2022 the committee will revise the standards based on input from public comment and an independent bias review. The standards will be presented to the National Board’s governing bodies for review and approval in early 2022.
In the next phase of standards revisions, certificate area experts will be convened to embed the adopted standards into each of the certificate area standards. Once the certificate area standards revisions are adopted by the Board of Directors, all assessments will be reviewed to determine what changes are necessary to reflect the new expectations in the standards.
- What Will Online Learning Look Like in 10 Years? News https://t.co/B6vnxq5g3hNational BoardSep 22
- Going through the National Board process allows teachers to hone their practice, showcase their talent in the class… https://t.co/OC3pfd6ivtNational BoardSep 21
- RT @Hunt_Institute: .@selmekki, @CenterBlackEd: "We're looking at supporting Black & Brown teachers getting @NBPTS certified as soon as pos…National BoardSep 21
- RT @MoWFilmFest: MOWFF serves as an educational space for educators and students. To this end, we partnered with @kmishmael from @squadbuc…National BoardSep 21
- RT @lizevansnbct: I firmly believe that National Board Certification can help social studies educators dig into their practice and transfor…National BoardSep 21