Home Vice President, Assessment
The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (National Board) is the nation’s pre-eminent standards-setting board in teaching. Since 1987, the National Board has certified more than 122,000 accomplished teachers through the rigorous performance-based, peer-reviewed process of National Board Certification. The National Board is pursuing an ambitious agenda to scale Board certification throughout the teaching profession, with the aim of strengthening a differentiated, performance-based career continuum for teachers and, ultimately, building teaching into the true profession it deserves to be.
Reporting to the COO, the Vice President of Assessment is responsible for strategic leadership of all aspects of the National Board Certification assessment, the teaching profession’s premier performance-based assessment of accomplished teaching.
The National Board is pursuing an ambitious growth agenda toward our vision of every student learning from an accomplished teacher every day. Assessment will play a critical role in ensuring that National Board Certification remains a leading assessment in terms of validity, reliability, and relevance to accomplished practice; that the quality of certification operations yields continuous improvement; and that assessment design and development expands teacher access while meeting the organization’s key criteria and industry standards.
The senior leader will lead a diverse team with strengths in psychometrics, project management, and assessment operations toward the National Board’s strategic goals and mission. The successful candidate will be a strategic, big picture thinker; bring expertise in assessment design, development, and operations as well as educator and partner relationship management; have a track record of successful team management and staff development; and strengthen the organization’s leadership and impact in the field through assessment.
The VP will serve on the senior leadership team, providing organizational, strategic, and cultural leadership and people management. The VP will participate in shaping the organization’s strategic direction and priorities, allocating and stewarding resources, and building a highly engaged, high performance culture.
Note: This position may be combined with other responsibilities to form a complete portfolio.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Strategic Leadership in Assessment
- Engages with cutting-edge trends in assessment in order to ensure that National Board Certification remains a leading performance-based assessment of teaching practice
- Develops strategic plans to guide the design, development, operations, and improvement of first-time National Board Certification and the forthcoming Maintenance of Certification assessment
- Oversees the ongoing operation of the Board certification assessment, ensuring that it meets high standards for technical validity and reliability as well as its responsiveness to teachers and to the field as a whole
- Provides assessment-focused insight and leadership to new strategic opportunities, including the relationship of Board certification to other teaching standards and assessments in the field
- Facilitates effective engagement with National Board governance bodies, especially the Technical Advisory Group, Certification Council, and Board of Directors
- Oversees effective engagement with the National Board’s operational partner regarding assessment operations
- Represents the organization externally, proactively building relationships with key stakeholders in assessment, the teaching profession, and policy leaders as appropriate
- Team leadership
- Supervises and manages a diverse staff with multiple direct reports and responsible for additional indirect staff
- Supports individual staff engagement, performance, development, and advancement
- Builds a strong collaborative culture within the team of direct reports and with other teams across the organization, in particular Standards and teams responsible for information systems, financial operations, communication, and marketing.
- Develop and oversee the department’s budget and allocation of funds
- Organizational leadership
- Participates and leads on the organization’s senior leadership team
- Informs and shapes strategic, financial, and organizational priorities
- Contributes to building a collaborative and high-performing senior leadership team
Summary of Experience:
- Advanced degree in education or related field required
- 10+ years of experience, including five years leading substantial projects, initiatives, or programs related to teaching standards and / or assessments required.
- Experience with performance assessment in the certification testing industry is preferred.
- Management experience required.
Required Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the National Board’s vision for elevating the teaching profession and engaging teachers as leaders in that effort.
- Understanding of and commitment to mission of the National Board.
- Broad knowledge about education policy and practice.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with established deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and good judgment.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; able to write clearly and concisely; able to speak clearly and professionally with colleagues, teacher volunteers and outside vendors; able to organize and present research results and findings clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences.
- External relationship management
To Apply, please submit your cover letter and resume using the link below:
NBPTS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages diversity in its hiring and employment practices.
- Congrats to Melanie - a National Board Certified Teacher #NBCTstrong https://t.co/7L8xVJys54National BoardMay 21
- Thanks for resurfacing this great blog by @TamaraRanger #NBCTstrong @nbctsofmaine https://t.co/EKQKJWw3YVNational BoardMay 21
- RT @GenevieveDeBose: So wonderful to spend the afternoon with @TSN4NBC learning about all of the innovative ways The Support Network guides…National BoardMay 21
- Congrats for being #NBCTstrong! @SuptMattMassey https://t.co/QjaRB1nDgbNational BoardMay 21
- It’s clear that social and emotional skills are essential to student success, but what’s less clear how teachers ca… https://t.co/OZaOAW6AybNational BoardMay 21