Home Vice President, Technology
The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (National Board) is the nation’s pre-eminent standards-setting board in teaching. Since 1987, the National Board has certified more than 122,000 accomplished teachers through the rigorous performance-based, peer-reviewed process of National Board Certification. The National Board is pursuing an ambitious agenda to scale Board certification throughout the teaching profession, with the aim of strengthening a differentiated, performance-based career continuum for teachers and, ultimately, building teaching into the true profession it deserves to be.
Reporting to the COO, the Vice President of Technology is responsible for strategic leadership of all aspects of the National Board’s technology systems, tools, resources, and data, including external-facing platforms and content as well as internal-facing information systems and IT.
The National Board is pursuing an ambitious growth agenda toward our vision of every student learning from an accomplished teacher every day. Technology will play a critical role in enabling the organization to engage and activate tens of thousands of teachers across the country; to build awareness among key audiences at scale; to support staff and external champions to have access to critical resources and information to advance their work; and to make available resources (including exemplars of accomplished teaching) to support teacher development across the country.
The right candidate for this role will have a demonstrated ability to create opportunities to better serve internal and external constituents through technology and best practices. The impact of the VP’s leadership will be increased collaboration, expanded efforts, improved efficiency, and engaged stakeholders. The VP will lead and manage the technology team toward high collaboration and performance, and ensure responsive audits, design, and development of tools and resources from point of concept through implementation. In addition, the VP will serve as a key member of the senior leadership team, shaping and supporting strategic, financial, and organizational priorities and success.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Strategic leadership in Technology
- Engage with cutting-edge trends in technology in order to identify new technologies, processes, and partners to better support the National Board, both internally and externally
- Develop strategic technology plans and roadmaps, include regular system audits as needed, to guide the design, development, and improvement of external and internal technological capabilities
- Internally facing tools and data: systems supporting internal staff with a SalesForce-based data and contact management system, reports and analytics, budgets and forecasting, marketing (MarketingCloud, Hustle, Attentively), and advocacy (Quorum)
- Lead the operation, development, and usage of the National Board’s Salesforce-based information and customer relationship management system, which serves needs across the organization and with key partners in the field.
- Coordinate integration of SalesForce and MarketingCloud with third party applications (e.g. Quorum, Hustle) and ongoing data flow with third-party data providers.
- IT systems: tools such as communications (telephony, web access, video conferencing), internal servers and networking, cloud-based services, and security.
- Lead the operation and ongoing improvement of IT hardware and software supports to meet organizational and staff needs
- ATLAS and other externally facing resources: developing appropriate technology solutions to make NB resources (such as ATLAS and other awareness, policy, and practice resources) available to key stakeholder audiences engaged in advancing NB’s work.
- Lead the operation, development, and integration of ATLAS, the National Board’s video-based case library of accomplished teaching, into the work of the National Board, including the exploration of external partnering opportunities
- Lead the development, improvement, and operation of an integrated knowledge management system that engages and provides resources and engagement tools for key National Board stakeholders
- Collaborate to identify and meet strategic technology needs:
- Proactively build relationships with National Board staff, stakeholders, and constituents and engage them throughout design, development, and deployment of prioritized technological supports
- Lead the creation of proposals or needs requirements for new services and tools, the development phase of new services or processes, the creation of operational policies and procedures, and the development and implementation of staff or other user training
- Monitor, analyze, and evaluate the performance of new technologies and processes against goals and needs, proactively identifying areas for improvement
- Identify and pursue strategic opportunities for expanding access to the ATLAS resource library, including new marketing and partnership approaches
- Collaborate to identify and meet strategic technology needs:
- Team leadership
- Supervise and manage a diverse staff with multiple direct reports and responsible for additional indirect staff
- Support individual staff engagement, performance, development, and advancement
- Build a strong collaborative culture within their team of direct reports and with other teams across the organization
- Develop and oversee the department’s budget and allocation of funds
- Organizational leadership
- Participate and lead on the organization’s senior leadership team
- Inform strategic, financial, and organizational priorities
- Contribute to building a collaborative and high-performing senior leadership team
Summary of Experience:
- Advanced degree in business, computer science, or similar field required
- 10+ years of experience, with multiple years of experience leading technology for similar organizations required
- Knowledge of the K-12 education industry and of the teaching profession preferred
- Experience in non-profits a plus
- Proven track record of success in the design, development, and deployment of new technologies and related services and processes to meet evolving programmatic needs, including feasibility, operational analysis, and implementation and integration required
- 5+ years management and staff development experience required
Required Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Highly user-focused, capable of understanding and communicating user needs (and user interface requirements) and delivering appropriate technology solutions;
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and good judgment, and capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals (i.e., internal staff at all levels, external stakeholders and partners, and peers)
- Self-directed and highly motivated individual with strong technical project management skills and the ability to function within a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects within established deadlines
- Proven ability to work in an environment that depends heavily on teamwork
- Excellent written and verbal skills including the ability to produce quality written materials.
- Ability to and experience negotiating high-value contracts with technology suppliers and partners
- Strong business acumen with the ability to understand and apply financial metrics to projects
To Apply, please submit your cover letter and resume using the link below:
NBPTS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages diversity in its hiring and employment practices.
- @ScottMuri @teainfo @TXNBCT @EctorCountyISD Lea más en Lo que los maestros deberian saber y poder hacer! https://t.co/G1Lmv3jAZYNational BoardMay 29
- RT @ScottMuri: Fue un honor enlazarnos con @NBPTS @teainfo y @TXNBCT para discutir la increíble oportunidad que les espera a los maestros d…National BoardMay 29
- RT @JohnBKing: Grateful to join @NBCTNAME, @Pbrookins44 & @NBPTS, and @RRodriguezTPlus & @teachplus for last night’s conversation about edu…National BoardMay 29
- RT @wise1teach: Thank you Dr. @JohnBKing for your words of wisdom and reminding us of the “New Deal” moment we have right now. I was remind…National BoardMay 29
- As teachers you know that you can't treat all students alike. Using the same tactics or strategies to address simil… https://t.co/3FBACMFIynNational BoardMay 29