The September 2014 issue of Kappan magazine features a compelling article by National Board President and CEO Ron Thorpe titled, “Residency: Can it transform teaching the way it did medicine?” In the piece, Thorpe explores complex questions, including:
- Should the education profession push for universal residency for teachers? What would it look like?
- How would it affect student learning and the basic culture of the teaching profession?
- Given that residency would substantially raise the bar for entry into the profession, what effect would it have on the workforce?
- How would we pay for it?
Read the full text and let us know your thoughts by responding on Twitter @NBPTS.
Kappan magazine is a premier source for important topics in K-12 education, including classroom practice, policy, research, professional issues and innovations explored in-depth by multiple experts.
- RT @NBPTS: Teachers: How organized would you consider your classroom?National BoardJun 22
- Teachers: How organized would you consider your classroom?National BoardJun 22
- RT @ontheBalledu: Thank you to the office of Ms. Penrod @PentagonPresSec and @dodea for the invitation to visit the Pentagon today as the D…National BoardJun 22
- Dan Bartsch, NBCT of @BSHBroncNation just completed his 25th year of teaching. Learn why he feels he could go anoth… https://t.co/ZsvMGJ4W30National BoardJun 22
- Now these are pretty great! https://t.co/rwxz7wprtHNational BoardJun 22