We know that educators may have questions about paying for their certification. This page includes funding resources and payment plan options.
The National Board assessment is grouped into four components. With each of the four components costing $475, the total certification cost is $1,900. Candidates can pay for and submit each component separately, effectively spreading the cost out over three years.
There is a $75 non-refundable registration fee for each year a candidate completes components. Candidates who choose to retake components must pay the $475 fee or, for Component 1, pay $125 per exercise and/or the Selected Response section.
Complete Maintenance of Certification costs $495 plus a $75 registration fee.
The National Board payment plan is available to any candidate pursuing National Board certification or MOC, including retakes. The payment plan offers the following benefits.
- Quick and easy to set up
- You can spread the cost of your component(s) over six equal monthly installments (about $80 per component per month)
- No interest or fees and no credit check
- You will be able to initiate the payment plan through the registration deadline
Follow the steps below to sign up for the payment plan.
- Log in to your National Board account
- Select your component
- Select the payment plan while checking out to complete your purchase
Note: You will need a National Board account to sign up for the payment plan. Need an account? Create your National Board account here.
Additional Payment Plan resources
Applying Third Party Funds
Some states, districts, and organizations provide monetary support to candidates undergoing the National Board certification process. Those organizations who submit payment directly to the National Board are called Third-Party Payers. You will be able to apply third party funds through the registration deadline.
- Third-Party Payer Funding FAQs for Candidates (Last Updated May 2023)
- Applying Third Party Funds – Candidate Instructions (Last Updated November 2023)
- State Incentives