ARLINGTON, Va. — The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is excited to announce that Sharon Gallagher-Fishbaugh, a National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT) has been elected the organization’s new board vice chair. Gallagher-Fishbaugh will be replacing Christy Levings, whose term as vice chair ends November 5, 2016.
Gallagher-Fishbaugh has worked in public education for 37 years, 31 of which were spent teaching special education and elementary education. She is the past president of the Utah Education Association and was the Utah State Teacher of the Year in 2009.
“Sharon has deep and broad experience at the local, state, and national level. She is an important voice for children and the education profession. I know that her proven track record will help us advance our mission,” said Peggy Brookins, NBCT, President and CEO of the National Board. “We work daily to maintain high and rigorous standards for what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do and we work to increase the number of National Board Certified Teachers – teachers meeting those high standards,” she added.
Gallagher-Fishbaugh currently serves as Chair of the NEA Foundation Board of Directors. Her experience also includes serving on boards and commissions including the NEA’s Commission on Effective Teachers and Teaching, the Council of Accreditation of Teacher Preparation Programs, the Teacher Residency Task Force and more.
“I know that working with Sharon, Peggy, the Board of Directors and the dedicated staff, we’ll make the voice of the National Board and NBCTs louder and stronger than ever,” said Terry Holliday, NBPTS Chair of the Board of Directors.
Gallagher-Fishbaugh proclaims “Education is my life’s work.” She is guided by the belief that “All children deserve a great public school with an excellent teacher.” She believes educators must lead from the classroom and open their doors to parents, community leaders, policymakers, and colleagues to “provide the impetus for positive dialogue and change.” She has a history of putting students first and has done just that in her classrooms and also her work with policymakers and stakeholders to “improve student outcomes, create new teaching standards, develop rigorous teacher evaluations, and design authentic, job-embedded professional development for teachers.”
“I’m excited about working with Terry and Peggy, the Board of Directors and the staff. The National Board’s work and mission are so important to me and I’m confident that together we’ll be able to advance the organization in important ways,” said Gallagher-Fishbaugh.
- RT @caepupdates: If you know about #teacherprep, CAEP could use your expertise! Apply to volunteer as a site visitor, annual report reviewe…National BoardMar 19
- Awesome things happening in @wwschools! #NBCTStrong https://t.co/HQ15l0GvYD via @http://twitter.com/ubnews/National BoardMar 19
- Congratulations to Utah Valley Educator of the Week: Christine Whatcott! @c_whatcott #NBCTStrong https://t.co/QF3YH5KyIl via @heraldextraNational BoardMar 19
- RT @cbrmaine: Thank you Melissa and Heidi for all you do to support NBCT candidates in Maine! Weekend support sessions are invaluable. Your…National BoardMar 19
- RT @juliabishopnbct: How PLFs support the teaching profession as a whole. @KYEducators @NBPTS https://t.co/EcDIqGr7BuNational BoardMar 19