This toolkit highlights four successful models that have been used to expand Board certification in school districts across the country. It also provides ready-made resources that advocates can use to bring decision-makers and stakeholders on board and engage a team to design and lead the program. Resources include communication tools, visuals, testimonials, detailed case studies, planning tools and general tips based on Board-certified teacher-led initiatives that have shown success.
Below are examples and planning tools that you can use to create job-embedded professional learning programs in your district to help teachers advance towards the highest standards of practice. The tools are organized by subheadings in the Toolkit:
Engaging Decision-Makers and Key Stakeholders
Several of the tools provided can help teams organize productive stakeholder meetings, keep track of stakeholder commitments, and share program information. In addition, two examples and a template show the connection and alignment between the Five Core Propositions, state academic standards, the Charlotte-Danielson Framework for Teaching, Learning Forward’s Standards for Professional Learning, and more.
- Stakeholder Next Steps and Commitments Template
- Program Introduction Sample Meeting Agenda
- Clark County NBPD School Brochure Example
- Illinois Standards and Five Core Propositions Alignment Example
- North Carolina Standards and Five Core Propositions Alignment Example
- Five Core Propositions Alignment Template
Building a Core Team
These tools highlight the value of using Logic Models to help articulate goals, define outcome measures, and set a plan of action. A Logic Model template and an example from Hillsborough County are provided.
To facilitate your program design, a planning timeline and an example from Hillsborough County can help your team working backwards in planning for implementation. Wake County’s documents include a program flyer, an overview PowerPoint, and several classroom teacher resources for analyzing student work and getting to know students as individuals. From the Illinois National Board Resource Center we include documents that help school leaders, teachers and others understand their roles, responsibilities, and commitments in creating National Board Professional Development Schools.
- Planning Timeline template
- Hillsborough ASPIRE! Timeline
- Hillsborough ASPIRE! infomercial
- Wake County Beginner to Board-Certified Mindsets in the Classroom Book Study Discussion Questions
- Wake County Beginner to Board-Certified Knowledge of Student Template
- Wake County Beginner to Board-Certified Analysis of Student Work Template
- Illinois NBPD School Application Administrator Checklist
- Wake County Beginner to Board-Certified Flyer
- Wake County Beginner to Board-Certified PowerPoint
- Illinois NBPD School Teacher Agreement Sample
- Illinois NPBD School PD Team Roles and Responsibilities
- Illinois NBPD School MOU Roles and Responsibilities
- Illinois NBPD School Team Planning Notes – Year 1
- Illinois NBPD School Teacher Liaison Communication Update
Sustaining Momentum Beyond Year One
To help you sustain your program, we provide tools from Clark County, Nevada and Illinois. These will help NBPD schools think about program improvement and growth over time. Resources are will help programs set Year Two and Three goals, plan professional development, and think about how cohorts of teachers can move to focus on student impact and sustained change in school culture.
- Illinois NBPD School Goal Setting for Years 2 and 3
- NBPD School Cohort Goal Setting Template
- Illinois NBPD School Professional Development Planning Notes for Years 2 and 3
- Illinois NBPD School Evolution of the Cohort
- Clark County NBPD School Evaluation Sample Questions
- We're coming up on the cycle deadline! It is May 21st. Be sure to take advantage of these resources the Candidate E… https://t.co/J0rup5bbY0National BoardMay 12
- How many days left in the school year are there for everyone?National BoardMay 12
- RT @FabTeach85: Random late night email from a student I had this year. Sometimes these just cut deep 😭😭 #talesofaformerteacher https://t.c…National BoardMay 12
- RT @longorio: My National Board Certificate came in the mail today! So grateful to all of my colleagues, family, and friends who supported…National BoardMay 12
- RT @_culturefeed: "Building a community starts with caring for one another’s basic needs." @KatieFergNYTOY shares thoughts on educating you…National BoardMay 12