A new study investigating the impact of professional development workshops focused on equipping cooperating teachers to support teacher candidates on the edTPA finds that National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) were the most effective at providing feedback to teacher candidates preparing for the edTPA.
Published in the Journal of Teacher Education, the report entitled “Investigating the impact of edTPA professional development on classroom practice and student teaching experience” found that National Board Certified Teachers who were cooperating teachers “were able to give substantive feedback to their candidates, and their responses to the interview questions indicated a deep understanding of the demands of the edTPA project and the importance of reflection.” (p. 109).
The impact of National Board certification was not the driving research question. However, researchers Kissau, Hart and Algozzine concluded that, “National Board Certified Teachers were able to offer the highest quality feedback, suggesting that teacher preparation programs may wish to deliberately request National Board Certified Teachers as mentors whenever possible.”
“Deep reflection is at the core of National Board certification. Day in and day out, National Board Certified Teachers teach to the standards of accomplished teaching. These are top-notch educators and leaders of the profession. I’m gratified but not surprised with the researchers’ findings,” said Peggy Brookins, NBCT, president and CEO of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
- RT @everydayiteach: Did you know nationally only 18% of Ts are people of color and nationally over 50% of Ss are people of color. It is ti…National BoardJul 18
- Principal Turnover: Insights from Current Principals https://t.co/zKCkgLLDitNational BoardJul 18
- RT @pgcpsnbct1: The National Board Certification process is an opportunity to build your capacity and be an example of continuous learning…National BoardJul 18
- RT @EASDpasquel: @NBPTS For me it was the reflection- did I accomplish the goal? what should I do next? how can I make this better? Did I m…National BoardJul 18
- RT @aqlobo: So lucky to represent and learn with these amazing @NBPTS educators. So many ideas to bring back to @ABQschools #NBCTStrong ht…National BoardJul 18