I hope that this message finds you and your families healthy as we all adjust to massive change in a short period of time. I know that each of you is learning new ways of being involved with your colleagues, families, and communities.
I believe that calm, consistent approaches to working and living while being responsive to this challenging time period will see us through.
By the very nature of our mission, the National Board values educators’ dedication and commitment. Teachers are often our children’s first responders, and the country is witnessing how vital that role is—not only academically, but also socially, emotionally, and as pillars of connection, community, and stability.
The National Board has always been, and will always be, by teachers, for teachers. In the face of this pandemic, we are lifting up the expertise of Board-certified teachers, hosting virtual convenings that bring their expertise to their fellow educators and districts around the country as we all learn how to function in this current reality.
We see how teachers, once again, are stepping up to lead our communities by supporting our children. And we honor how so many of you have given of your time and expertise to help your colleagues. In challenging times like these, NBCTs are ideally positioned to:
- Strengthen learning by sharing expertise on effective instruction in virtual environments.
- Strengthen community by reaching out – be it to colleagues who may be vulnerable at this time, or to district and state leaders to ensure they understand community and educator
- Strengthen public understanding of how this crisis is playing out in the community by authoring op-eds, blogs, or letters to the editor.
- Take other actions that provide care to our communities, our colleagues, our students, and our families and
Yes, confronting COVID-19 is a different global challenge, but that’s the nature of challenges. We adapt, learn, and grow. Let us also remember, as we give in the ways we are moved to in this trying time, to lean on each other and take care of ourselves. Our network is broad. We are not alone.
Stay healthy, stay connected, stay leading.
Peggy Brookins, NBCT
- RT @MeganLandmeier: Headed back to the classroom after a five year break! Who should I be following? #nbct #responsiveclassroom #booktalkNational BoardJul 02
- Congratulations to these acocmplished, #NBCTstrong educators @nsabrinagates https://t.co/E3TkMOdUZ7National BoardJul 02
- RT @watersenglish: If you haven't responded to this poll, you still have time! This is a very informal research project. In other words, I'…National BoardJul 02
- RT @mindfullymath: Thank you to everyone that provided such wonderful advice around becoming a National Board Certified Teacher. I was not…National BoardJul 02
- RT @MsFielding: Best summer ever spent co-teaching the #NBCT Pre-Candidacy course with @SmbappleBradley !! The group of teachers was phenom…National BoardJul 02