Reasons to Certify?
There are many reasons to become board-certified. Board-certified teachers prove their effectiveness in the classroom every day:
- Students learn more. A decade of research shows that students of Board-certified teachers learn more than their peers without Board-certified teachers. Studies have also found that the positive impact of having a Board-certified teacher is even greater for minority and low-income students.
- Teachers improve their practice. Board Certification allows teachers to hone their practice, showcase their talent in the classroom and demonstrate their dedication to their students and their profession.
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence. Schools with National Board Certified Teachers are characterized by better teacher morale and retention and increased community involvement. Districts and schools that want to drive student learning recognize the power of Board certification and are taking steps to empower and raise the status of accomplished teachers.
Board Certification Opens DoorsWhat Teachers Should Know and Be Able to Do Read More
- Board-certified teachers are often given opportunities to have an impact way beyond their individual classrooms.
- Because Board-certified teachers are recognized as experts, they are often sought out for leadership positions in their schools and districts.
- In significant numbers, NBCTs serve as team leaders, department chairs, and instructional coaches. Many NBCTs move on to serve as school and district administrators or within the state department of education.
Given the professionalism of Board Certified Teachers, states and districts are increasingly recognizing the need to build a corps of NBCTs who can play a role in leading teaching and learning improvements.
- More than half of all states—and countless districts—offer free support, conditional loans and/or salary incentives to encourage teachers to pursue and achieve National Board Certification.
- Many states count Board certification towards state licensure, renewal or step increase.
What Teachers Say
Teachers who have gone through the Board certification process say that it is the most valuable and transformative professional development they have ever received. The opportunity to connect professional learning with classroom practice brings to life a teacher’s experience, helping them reflect on individual student learning needs.
National Board Certification is the gift I gave to myself and to my students. It has bonded me to my profession. It has centered my practice and it has invited me to really know my students.
Crystal Culp, NBCT
Join the growing ranks of accomplished teachers!
- Today is the National Day on Writing! Share #WhyIWrite and celebrate using these ideas! https://t.co/xIX2O9RmYANational BoardOct 20
- Patti Freckelton, a National Board Certified Teacher, says that inviting students with disabilities into all classr… https://t.co/Giu4pIwwhoNational BoardOct 19
- RT @DrRemonaJenkins: @RichlandOne educators? Interested in National Board certification @NBPTS? Join @R1Instrservices for our National Boa…National BoardOct 19
- RT @HSG_Ed: .@HSG_AZ Alumna @JLedTeach asks a question that is crucial for all teachers preparing to pursue their @NBPTS certification: "Ho…National BoardOct 19
- RT @DrewBakerHCPS: What makes teachers stay? Great ideas including Board Certification! At #MERCConference @NBPTS #HCPSNBCT https://t.co/1a…National BoardOct 19