ARLINGTON, Va. — October 29, 2018 — The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards announces today that 4,446 teachers have renewed their certificate and demonstrated that they teach to the highest professional standards. Teachers from 48 states renewed and in many states they are eligible for a salary stipend or incentive.
There are currently more than 20,000 teachers pursuing National Board certification, a mark of distinction recognizing accomplished teaching. The new 2018 National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) will be announced by the end of the year. National Board standards are created by teachers, for teachers, as is National Board certification, a voluntary process to certify teachers against those standards.
“We all care about America’s schools and today’s announcement is cause for celebration of those teachers who have renewed their National Board certification. Research makes clear that the 118,000 NBCTs teaching in our nation’s schools have a significant impact on student learning. These teachers have proven that they teach to the highest standards – and that their students benefit. The future becomes brighter as we all work towards an accomplished teacher for every student, in every classroom, across the country,” said Peggy Brookins, NBCT, President and CEO of The National Board.
This December, The National Board will announce this year’s class of new National Board Certified Teachers and will hold a nationwide celebration during #TeamNBCT week – acknowledging all teachers who work to assure that their practice meets the highest standards in the profession.
Considering the organization’s recent developments, Brookins added, “along with stakeholders from coast to coast, we work daily to bring Board certification to scale. It’s a moral imperative that we move towards the day that every student in every zip code will be taught by an accomplished teacher. That will be a good day for our students, our schools and our communities.”
About the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (www.nbpts.org):
The founding mission of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards is to advance the quality of teaching and learning by: (1) maintaining high and rigorous standards for what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do; (2) providing a national voluntary system certifying teachers who meet these standards; and (3) advocating related education reforms to integrate National Board Certification in American education and to capitalize on the expertise of National Board Certified Teachers. Recognized as the “gold standard” in teacher certification, the National Board believes higher standards for teachers means better learning for students.
- RT @NancyRoutson: Oh Facebook memories ... Six years ago I was in the same boat as our current cohort. I’m just as proud of you all for sti…National BoardApr 18
- RT @lmtclarke: Are you #nbctstrong and at the #carnegiesummit2019? I'd love to connect. Please join me tomorrow at one of the lunch meet-u…National BoardApr 18
- Some sad news - #NBCTstrong advocate Peggy A. Swoger has passed away. We are so thankful for the impact she had on… https://t.co/5szIXQUGPsNational BoardApr 18
- RT @joefdoctor: “There are no halcyon days of teacher professionalism to return to.” @rweingarten at #FreedomToTeach We will have to creat…National BoardApr 18
- RT @cprockholt: Capitalizing on the expertise of teachers learning and improving together. Dynamic trio @lmtclarke @lindseylee253 @SFUSD…National BoardApr 18