Former NBPTS Board member Peggy Brookins, NBCT, joined the National Board as Executive Vice President in December 2014 and was named President & CEO in November 2015. Her long career as an educator includes many national leadership positions and accolades. In July 2014, President Barack Obama named Brookins as a member of the President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for African Americans. She came to the National Board from the Engineering and Manufacturing Institute of Technology at Forest High School in Ocala, Florida, which she co-founded in 1994 and where she served as director and as a mathematics instructor.
She served on the NBPTS Board from 2007 to 2011. In addition, she has served on the board of, The Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences Ad Hoc Committee on Teachers as Professionals, the Content Technical Working Group for the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, a commissioner on the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), P21 Executive Board, and the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) Teacher Prep Commission. She has been a national trainer for AFT (Thinking Mathematics K-2, 3-6, 6-8 Common Core, collaborator and national trainer for Thinking Mathematics 6-8). She currently serves on the Advisory Board of Digital Promise, National Center on Education and the Economy (NCEE) Executive Board, Fund for Teachers Executive Board, Out Teach Executive Board, Bowie State University and the STAR Program Advisory Board, National Geographic Education Audit Advisory Board, Eddie and Jules Trump Foundation of Israel Advisory Board, and the Class Strategic Advisory Board.
Brookins achieved her certification in Adult and Young Adolescent Mathematics in 2003 and renewed in 2013. She was inducted into the University of Florida Alumni Hall of Fame in 2009, Received the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) “Woodie Flowers” Award in 2016, is a Florida Education Association “Everyday Hero,” and received the association’s Excellence in Teaching Award. In 2013, Brookins was named an Aspen Ideas Festival Scholar.
- RT @Dacajet: @GrandPtl @OPLLpgcps @Mentorteacher4 @RainyaMiller @NBPTS @pgcpsnbct1 Recharge yourself tomorrow!🥰National BoardOct 22
- Columbus Municipal School District National Board Certification program could lead to better teacher retention, stu… https://t.co/uHncsMrYJwNational BoardOct 22
- "The bill would grant Pennsylvania certification to any candidate who holds a valid certificate issued by the Natio… https://t.co/8ezn3B8zYtNational BoardOct 22
- RT @JulianaUrtubey3: Standing next to the 2020 and 2021 State Teachers of the Year along with @POTUS @FLOTUS @SecCardona gave me a such hop…National BoardOct 22
- RT @WhiteHouse: This week at the White House, we celebrated the incredible achievements, sacrifices, and talents of teachers from across th…National BoardOct 22