Home What is National Board Certification?
The National Board’s certification process is designed to collect standards-based evidence of accomplished practice. In all 25 certificate areas, candidates are required to complete four components. The specific instructions will vary by certificate area, as will the standards assessed by each component.
Component 1: Content Knowledge
A computer-based assessment asks you to demonstrate your understanding of content knowledge and pedagogical practices for teaching your content area. You must demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate content, which is necessary for teaching across the full age range and ability level of your chosen certificate area. This is assessed through the completion of three constructed response exercises and 45 selected response items.
Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction
This classroom-based portfolio entry requires that candidates gather and analyze information about individual students’ strengths and needs and use that information to design and implement instruction to advance student learning and achievement. You will submit selected work samples that demonstrate the students’ growth over time and a written commentary that analyzes your instructional choices.
Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment
This is a classroom-based portfolio entry that requires video recordings of interactions between you and your students. You will also submit a written commentary in which you describe, analyze and reflect on your teaching and interactions with students. Both the video and the written commentary should demonstrate how you engage students and impact their learning.
Component 4: Effective and Reflective Practitioner
This portfolio entry requires you to demonstrate evidence of your abilities as an effective and reflective practitioner in developing and applying knowledge of your students; your use of assessments to effectively plan for and positively impact your students’ learning; and your collaboration to advance students’ learning and growth.
The process is more flexible than ever!
Set your own pace and sequence throughout the process.
- Take up to three years to complete the four components
- Complete the components in any sequence
- You have two opportunities to retake a component, if needed
- Each component costs $475; pay for components separately
- RT @LAMBRADLEY: @MacMSPrincipal Filming oneself & writing in-depth reflection & analysis of the films is part of the @NBPTS National Board…National BoardJun 24
- RT @NewAmericaEd: OUT TODAY: Teachers want to know more about #LGBTQ inclusion, but they don't know how to make it happen for their student…National BoardJun 24
- RT @ChucksBride: @edutopia Used this when I was developing my @NBPTS portfolio. Great tool for self critiquing!National BoardJun 24
- Educators even thinking about Board certification should consider one of our June or July informational webinars. C… https://t.co/tJqmFxG1gmNational BoardJun 23
- RT @JustinMinkel: Powerful piece by one of the bravest teachers I know. “My student’s dad pounded his fist against the table as he spewed h…National BoardJun 23