Home What is National Board Certification?
The National Board’s certification process is designed to collect standards-based evidence of accomplished practice. In all 25 certificate areas, candidates are required to complete four components. The specific instructions will vary by certificate area, as will the standards assessed by each component.
Component 1: Content Knowledge
A computer-based assessment asks you to demonstrate your understanding of content knowledge and pedagogical practices for teaching your content area. You must demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate content, which is necessary for teaching across the full age range and ability level of your chosen certificate area. This is assessed through the completion of three constructed response exercises and 45 selected response items.
Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction
This classroom-based portfolio entry requires that candidates gather and analyze information about individual students’ strengths and needs and use that information to design and implement instruction to advance student learning and achievement. You will submit selected work samples that demonstrate the students’ growth over time and a written commentary that analyzes your instructional choices.
Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment
This is a classroom-based portfolio entry that requires video recordings of interactions between you and your students. You will also submit a written commentary in which you describe, analyze and reflect on your teaching and interactions with students. Both the video and the written commentary should demonstrate how you engage students and impact their learning.
Component 4: Effective and Reflective Practitioner
This portfolio entry requires you to demonstrate evidence of your abilities as an effective and reflective practitioner in developing and applying knowledge of your students; your use of assessments to effectively plan for and positively impact your students’ learning; and your collaboration to advance students’ learning and growth.
The process is more flexible than ever!
Set your own pace and sequence throughout the process.
- Take up to three years to complete the four components
- Complete the components in any sequence
- You have two opportunities to retake a component, if needed
- Each component costs $475; pay for components separately
- As you go back to school this fall, what education-related issues should policy makers and political candidates be thinking about?National BoardAug 17
- The Arizona K12 Center announced that through the Arizona Teachers Academy they have funding for 200 teachers to se… https://t.co/xXtXyAcRvNNational BoardAug 16
- 15 million children living in extreme poverty in the US face the fear of not having the supplies to learn or not kn… https://t.co/8gF1vMxrxiNational BoardAug 16
- RT @NBPTS: As you get ready to head back to school, what do you most need for your classroom? Tweet us what else teachers may need! #BackTo…National BoardAug 13
- Pediatricians Group Warns That Racism Is Harmful To The Health Of Children https://t.co/7cufunrhOfNational BoardAug 13