Home What is National Board Certification?
The National Board’s certification process is designed to collect standards-based evidence of accomplished practice. In all 25 certificate areas, candidates are required to complete four components. The specific instructions will vary by certificate area, as will the standards assessed by each component.
Component 1: Content Knowledge
A computer-based assessment asks you to demonstrate your understanding of content knowledge and pedagogical practices for teaching your content area. You must demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate content, which is necessary for teaching across the full age range and ability level of your chosen certificate area. This is assessed through the completion of three constructed response exercises and 45 selected response items.
Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction
This classroom-based portfolio entry requires that candidates gather and analyze information about individual students’ strengths and needs and use that information to design and implement instruction to advance student learning and achievement. You will submit selected work samples that demonstrate the students’ growth over time and a written commentary that analyzes your instructional choices.
Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment
This is a classroom-based portfolio entry that requires video recordings of interactions between you and your students. You will also submit a written commentary in which you describe, analyze and reflect on your teaching and interactions with students. Both the video and the written commentary should demonstrate how you engage students and impact their learning.
Component 4: Effective and Reflective Practitioner
This portfolio entry requires you to demonstrate evidence of your abilities as an effective and reflective practitioner in developing and applying knowledge of your students; your use of assessments to effectively plan for and positively impact your students’ learning; and your collaboration to advance students’ learning and growth.
The process is more flexible than ever!
Set your own pace and sequence throughout the process.
- Take up to three years to complete the four components
- Complete the components in any sequence
- You have two opportunities to retake a component, if needed
- Each component costs $475; pay for components separately
- RT @NancyRoutson: Oh Facebook memories ... Six years ago I was in the same boat as our current cohort. I’m just as proud of you all for sti…National BoardApr 18
- RT @lmtclarke: Are you #nbctstrong and at the #carnegiesummit2019? I'd love to connect. Please join me tomorrow at one of the lunch meet-u…National BoardApr 18
- Some sad news - #NBCTstrong advocate Peggy A. Swoger has passed away. We are so thankful for the impact she had on… https://t.co/5szIXQUGPsNational BoardApr 18
- RT @joefdoctor: “There are no halcyon days of teacher professionalism to return to.” @rweingarten at #FreedomToTeach We will have to creat…National BoardApr 18
- RT @cprockholt: Capitalizing on the expertise of teachers learning and improving together. Dynamic trio @lmtclarke @lindseylee253 @SFUSD…National BoardApr 18