Home What is National Board Certification?
The National Board’s certification process is designed to collect standards-based evidence of accomplished practice. In all 25 certificate areas, candidates are required to complete four components. The specific instructions will vary by certificate area, as will the standards assessed by each component.
Component 1: Content Knowledge
A computer-based assessment asks you to demonstrate your understanding of content knowledge and pedagogical practices for teaching your content area. You must demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate content, which is necessary for teaching across the full age range and ability level of your chosen certificate area. This is assessed through the completion of three constructed response exercises and 45 selected response items.
Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction
This classroom-based portfolio entry requires that candidates gather and analyze information about individual students’ strengths and needs and use that information to design and implement instruction to advance student learning and achievement. You will submit selected work samples that demonstrate the students’ growth over time and a written commentary that analyzes your instructional choices.
Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment
This is a classroom-based portfolio entry that requires video recordings of interactions between you and your students. You will also submit a written commentary in which you describe, analyze and reflect on your teaching and interactions with students. Both the video and the written commentary should demonstrate how you engage students and impact their learning.
Component 4: Effective and Reflective Practitioner
This portfolio entry requires you to demonstrate evidence of your abilities as an effective and reflective practitioner in developing and applying knowledge of your students; your use of assessments to effectively plan for and positively impact your students’ learning; and your collaboration to advance students’ learning and growth.
The process is more flexible than ever!
Set your own pace and sequence throughout the process.
- Take up to three years to complete the four components
- Complete the components in any sequence
- You have two opportunities to retake a component, if needed
- Each component costs $475; pay for components separately
- RT @CtrEdEcon: Anthony Mackay and @Pbrookins44, president and CEO of @NBPTS, discuss the importance of @NBPTS certification and the future…National BoardNov 13
- The EdTech Genome Project is searching for "somebodies" to step forward and serve on working groups for this fascin… https://t.co/Hq4wgjpFhtNational BoardNov 13
- Are teachers allowed to think — or expected to simply follow directions? by @StevenSinger3 #NBCTstrong… https://t.co/OFSN6ovtY7National BoardNov 13
- The EdTech Genome Project has spoken: here are the 13 contextual variables that our Steering Committee think have t… https://t.co/x0C2nlnRuyNational BoardNov 13
- RT @azk12: Congratulations to the 43 #Arizonateachers who renewed their #NationalBoardCertification this year! 🎉🎉🎉 @NBPTS #amAZingNBCTs #N…National BoardNov 13