Every student deserves to be taught by an accomplished teacher. National Board Certification was designed to develop, retain and recognize accomplished teachers and to generate ongoing improvement in schools nationwide. It is the most respected professional certification available in K-12 education.
Board-certified teachers prove their effectiveness in the classroom every day.
Recognizing the many demands on teachers’ time, the certification process is designed to be flexible, efficient and affordable.
Renewal and Maintenance
National Board Certification is a public assurance that teachers have met the profession’s highest standards for accomplished practice.
The Candidate Center is your hub for information related to the certification process. Here you can find instructions and policy documents and other information that is specific to first time, returning and renewal candidates. Please read the information carefully as you view the documents that are relevant to you. We encourage you to check back often as you continue your journey.
First-time and Returning Candidate Resources
The resources on this page include certificate-specific standards, overviews of the certification components, component instructions, and important policy and procedure documents.
Get answers to our most asked questions by visiting our FAQs.
Renewal Candidate Resources
The National Board provides a few resources that can guide you through the renewal process. We also provide some Frequently Asked Questions.
Assessment Center Testing
The National Board has engaged Pearson VUE to deliver the online assessment of National Board Certification at locations across the United States.
The National Board has implemented an electronic portfolio submission system, ePortfolio, which simplifies and enhances the way candidates compile and submit materials for evaluation.
National Board Certification is a standards-based assessment. Your score reflects the degree to which assessors were able to locate clear, consistent, and convincing evidence that you have met the National Board Standards specific to your certificate field.
In Your State
To support your pursuit of National Board Certification, state departments, school districts, teachers unions, institutions of higher education, and other educational organizations offer resources, including fee assistance and candidate support. Our interactive state map provides this valuable state-specific information and also highlights local networks of NBCTs who can help guide your National Board journey.
- Congrats to @FCPSMaryland on your 13 new #NBCTStrong teachers. Good for schools, good for students! https://t.co/qHa0PhXby9National BoardFeb 20
- Kentucky Legislature Celebrates Board-certified Teachers #KYNBCTDay #NBCTStrong https://t.co/8pBRDdSfEANational BoardFeb 20
- Here are five ways state leaders can support teacher diversity, via @EdTrust https://t.co/T8XbMIGoeO #TeachStrongNational BoardFeb 20
- RT @SuzanneFarmer: Happy #KYNBCTDay to our 2017 class of #NBCTstrong!!! 5th largest class in the nation. @NBPTS @KyDeptofEd https://t.co/vS…National BoardFeb 20
- RT @JCPSKY: Today, 21 of our 53 @JCPSKY educators who obtained National Board Certification in 2017 were in Frankfort to celebrate with oth…National BoardFeb 20