Register for Office Hours: October 11, 2023 at 7PM EST and November 8, 2023 at 7PM EST
- Read the essential Board certification documents
- Review the four Components and collect evidence
- Analyze rubrics/scoring guides
National Board Documents and The Components
The videos should be watched now and reviewed again as you collect evidence and write.
- Body of Knowledge
- The 5 Core Propositions
- Architecture of Accomplished Teaching
- Review your Standards
- Each component will ask you to deeply attend to a specific number of standards. Be clear on which standards are focused on in the component. See your Certificate-Specific Instructions for details.
You may choose to do your certifications in 1, 2, or 3 years. Here are helpful guides if you choose to pursue your certification in 2 or 3 years. REMEMBER-check with your candidate support program!
Determine Your Path.
Determine your path. If you are working with a Candidate Support Provider, please make sure you check with them to see if they have chosen a path for you.
- If you are not able to work with a Candidate Support provider, there are several Facebook groups, webinars/Office Hours, and Canvas Courses that can help you navigate your journey even more.
Register/pay for your components.
Please refer back to “Payment Options” in Session 1 for information on paying for Components, especially if being funded by a Third Party Payer.
Components 2,3, and 4 Deep Dives
Only focus on the component(s) you are working on for THIS school year. You may be working on Component 1 as well; a deep dive on that will come in a later session.
You will need release forms for any videos, documents, and evidence you collect. Please collect these early in the school year.
- Component 3 Planning Guide
- Component 3 Webinar and Resources
- This will include tips on how to record your video 10:08
- Canvas Course on Component
- Recording Videos for Component 3 (page 40 of General Portfolio Instructions)
Review the Certificate-Area Instructions to find specific guidance on what evidence you will be collecting for your chosen Component(s). Each certificate area has different requirements.
What will you focus on?
- Determine which classes, assessments, units, and students you will focus on for your chosen component(s) and collect evidence for your chosen components based on the instructions above.
- Check in with your candidate support provider to talk through what your plan is. If you do not have a candidate support provider, lean into the Facebook groups, join an Office Hours webinar, and/or share with a teaching colleague.
Moment of Joy!
Do some self-care. This module has so much information; take breaks and do something you enjoy–take a walk, get in a good workout, cook a delicious meal, grab dinner with friends or family, or take a nap. It doesn’t have to be much, but take some time for YOU!
Rubrics and the Scoring Guide
- Review the Certificate-Area instructions to find rubrics. Each certificate area has different rubrics; however, all can be found at the end of the Instructions document.
Review rubrics Level 3 and Level 4
Look at rubrics Level 3 and Level 4 and determine the differences between the two. Highlight the differences in language.
- As you collect your evidence, continue to refer to the rubrics to ensure your evidence matches what the rubric is asking of you.
Last day to register/choose components is February 29, 2024. Please visit Customer Support if you have any questions.
Moment of Joy!
Take time to share with your students why you are pursuing National Board Certification. Ask them to write about something brave they’ve done and share it with each other! Or, feel free to take some time to connect with folks in your candidate support provider or through other social media channels that are also pursuing Board Certification.